Here is the latest lighting setup made with Unity 5.4. This time it seems to be right: Dark but not too dark, hazy and foggy with subtile HDR settings. I also changed a lot of light sources and I used Global Illumination with emissive materials as much as possible to get a better mood. Many items are now detailed, almost all of them. At this point, I would like to do a last enhancement session on modeling of the city part. Otherwise there are still props to improve and I must add more “mess” at some places but here are a bunch of new shots:
While I was working on lighting and other props optimisation, my friend Cedric Delcourt, made a wonderful mod about this mythic gun. Thanks to him for this amazing non-student job.
Some detailed props I recently enhanced (mods and textures).
I finally got some time to work on HDR rendering seriously and here are some results. Quite hazy but it should be to stick with the movie atmosphere.
For now, all the lighting is Baked GI (Unity 5.4.0) plus a few area lights. I’m waiting for updates (I encountered several bugs with directional specular lightmaps) to implement Real-time GI and be able to dynamically light on/off some place here… with beauty.
This piece of Deckard’s apartment was a mystery for a long time. I googled quite hard on minibars, cocktails buffets,.. even darts… but I found nothing looking like this:
At that point, my only hope was propsummit guys and Andrew Pokon made a wonderful discovery. He finally spotted the unknown buffet and bring us the answer on Blade Runner Propsummit Facebook Group. Here is the thing or at least the most faithful prop ever mentioned 🙂
Maybe the real one is still somewhere inside the Ennis House in L.A. Otherwise it is a good piece of work… and I got some time during these nights to create a 3D model of it with some adaptations according the movie. I obviously replaced the low poly buffet in the living room with this one. I still need to create a 2048 walnut texture, the current one is only 1024 but here are several shots:
Lighting is important… and it takes much more time than I though…. But here it goes, I started a complete new light setup in the entire apartment. I’ll try to get closer to the movie to offer a faithful experience.
The piano mesh had a lot of problems and a new topology had to be done. UVs were a real mess, it took too much space in lightmap.
I would like to make it “playable” with moving keys when a song is playing. You should except to see Rachel sitting there of course.
I jumped on the occasion to test Substance Painter 2.0 and set physically based textures on the piano elements.
Almost all the objects of the living room are now physically based rendered. Lighting parameters were finetuned and there is no artefact anymore, light bouncing is much better! UV2 for lightmaps are optimized and all the scene is fitting in one single (directional) lightmap. The scene is now rendering in Deferred mode and linear color space. It also runs at high framerate and an implementation of HTC Vive is coming too.
Improvements on Esper Machine, again.
This time, all the materials are correctly physical based shaded and the VoightKampff has found his true place 😉
Other previews will come as soon as the video sequence and screen animations are produced.